All Time Popular Posts

Thursday 17 December 2015

Ultimate Drugstore Foundation review

Hello Beauties,

I am excited to write this post: There are just so many great drugstore makeup brands at affordable prices! I recently went on a hunt and put Maybelline New York Fit Me! Matte + Poreless, L'oreal Paris True Match, Revlon Photoready Airbrush Effect and Rimmel London Match Perfection foundations to the test... I don't usually use liquid foundations on a daily basis and couldn't justify buying a high end makeup brand where I won't apply it enough to make up for the price.

As normal, I will be using a 5 star rating system. The foundations will be rated on their colour match, coverage, wear & finish, packaging  and skin. Each foundation will get a point if they meet the criteria. 

Who will win in my opinion? Lets get into the review!

Colour matching
I have to say, that I was able to find my colour match for each all brands so they all get a tick. I have fair skin so I am usually able to buy the lightest shade they have. However, in terms of a great colour range to match most skin tones, you may find it difficult to find a colour match with Maybelline Fit Me! which only has 6 shades. Rimmel Match Perfection and Revlon Photoready had 8 and 9 shades respectively while L'oreal True Match had the best selection with 11 shades.

Coverage
I have found that all of them give a good coverage (another tick). Extra bonus, I was able to build the Revlon Photoready to a heavy coverage (eg. covering acne scars) without ruining the wear or finish while with the others I couldn't.
 
Packaging
All of the packaging is nice and sleek. It feels like a high quality product even though it is from a drugstore. However I must say (well... write) that I wasn't a big fan of the Maybelline Fit Me! foundation. It was the only one of the four to not have a pump so the foundation was messy to use and there was a lot of lost product. 

Wear and Finish
I used the same primer that for each of these foundations so as to not bias any product. In order to review this point, I will write down what each of the foundations sets out to do:
  • Maybelline Fit Me! - minimises pores and a matte skin finish
  • Revlon Photoready  - Airbrushed finish
  • Rimmel Match Perfection  - 24 hour hydration with invisible coverage
  • L'oreal True Match -  Super blendable foundation for natural looking skin
In my personal experience:
  • Rimmel Match Perfection lasts for about 8 hours until it starts to look cakey on my skin. It was a semi-matte finish. This foundation wasn't drying on the skin. However in terms of hydration for 24 hours? Well to be honest, is it likely that people will wear a foundation for 24 hours?
  • Revlon Photoready stayed on for at least 8 hours and wasn't cakey on my skin at all. It had a nice dewy looking finish which actually photographs really well (I ended up using this as my wedding day foundation).
  • I did a trial of the Maybelline Fit Me! I ended up wearing it for 5 hours at a time before I couldn't stand it being on my face. It felt so heavy (un-breathable skin) and was very cakey which is a big no-no in my books. I like to have the natural effortless looking skin and unfortunately this foundation didn't do it for me. However in terms of doing what it states, it did minimise my pores and it had a matte finish.
  • L'oreal True Match: I heard a lot of good reviews of this product and had such high hopes but it didn't wear well for me and it was cakey. It was super blendable, however it really didn't make my skin look (or feel) natural.
Skin
For those who don't know, my skin is prone to breakouts. Which is why I am very selective on what I put on my face. Usually once I find a skincare product I love, I stick to it. So while my skincare regime and lifestyle didn't change I found that:
Rimmel Match Perfection and Revlon Photoready foundations I had no skin problems or breakouts. These two products get a tick. However, with the Maybelline Fit Me! and L'oreal True Match foundations I had breakouts. Sighs...

Overall ratings
Maybelline Fit Me! - 2.5 out of 5 (even though the foundation met the criteria in wear and finish it lost a start for me due to cakiness.
L'oreal True Match -3 out of 5
Rimmel Match Perfection - 4 out of 5
Revlon Photoready - 5 out of 5

Again, this is from my own experience with my type of skin. How did you find these products?

Stay beautiful, be you xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment